If you want to relax after a stressful day at work or host a brunch with your friends, these quick, healthy and citrusy cocktails hit the spot.
You don’t have to feel guilty about day drinking or chilling on the couch after a long day with a cocktail because this one is jam-packed with antioxidants and digestion-enhancing properties.
According to the Mayo Clinic, drinking alcohol in moderation is good for you. It can reduce the risk of heart disease, the risk of stroke, and the risk of diabetes.[*]
When you add ginger, orange, lime, licorice root, and mint to the mix, you boost the health benefits and yumminess of your drink.
And don’t worry, with only 4 ingredients you can whip these up in less than 10 minutes.
Here’s why these guilt-free cocktails are great for your health:
This cocktail is based on rum, spiked with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients:
Pique Ginger Citrus Tea Crystals: We’re using the Pique Ginger Citrus blend, which contains:
- Ginger: Ginger is a well-known digestion enhancer that has been used in Chinese medicine for hundreds of years. It contains special compounds called gingerols, which have impressive anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects.[*] Early studies show ginger may prevent alcohol-induced liver damage, so it’s a good addition to your alcoholic drinks.[*]
- Orange peel: Citrus peels are rich in compounds called PMFs (polymethoxylated flavones), which have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. PMFs also help preserve the intestinal barrier function, which may be disturbed by ethanol.[*][*][*]
- Lemon peel: Lemon peel is also packed with protective PMFs. These compounds are highly bioavailable (easily absorbed by your cells) so their effects aren’t lost in digestion. [*]
- Mint: Mint can protect your neuronal cells against oxidative damage.[*] Excessive alcohol can kill neuronal cells, so mint is a powerful ally when you’re drinking.
- Licorice root: Licorice is a common Chinese medicine herb with over 300 flavonoids, which have antiviral, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antitumor activities. It also has liver-protective properties.[*]
- Blood oranges: Blood orange juice is rich in antioxidants like anthocyanins, vitamin C, and protective acids. One study found that women who drank blood orange juice increased their vitamin C consumption and had a higher DNA resistance to oxidative stress.[*]
- Spiced Rum: The spiced version adds an extra fun layer of flavor to your cocktail.
- Mint leaves: More fresh mint means more protection for your neurons!
- Fresh lime juice: Lime juice not only adds a zing to your drink, it also helps keep blood pressure low.[*]
Essentially, all the ingredients in this recipe work together to protect your cells — especially your liver, digestive tract, and neurons — while you drink. Sweet.
Loaded with antioxidants and flavor, this simple ginger citrus cocktail is easy to whip up in a flash on busy mornings or nights.
Ginger Citrus Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- 16 oz water
- 2 sachets Pique Ginger Citrus Tea Crystals
- Juice of 2 blood oranges or your favorite citrus
- 3 oz spiced rum of choice
- Mint leaves
- Fresh lime juice
Mix 2 sachets of Ginger Citrus Tea Crystals into 12 oz water in a large glass or tumbler. Stir well.
- Juice oranges into a glass, add rum and shake or stir well.
- Pour over ice and garnish with mint leaves and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.